.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The BEST chili recipe

It's not often these days that I cook something that people just go on and on about - I've not been in a cooking mood for a few months. The desire to cook, like just about everything else that I am sometimes interested in, comes and goes in phases. I think I like to cook more in the fall and winter because I'm not a cold.rainy.windy weather person and cooking warms me up and gives me something to do when I can't be outside. Also, a lot of my favorite foods are winter foods - gumbo, red beans and rice, potato soup, Mulligan, and...CHILI!

Sunday evening I made some chili for our friends (because Halloween just screams chili to me) and everyone seemed to love it. I wish I could say I made it up or even found the recipe myself, but alas, I did not. Justin found it and made it one day a few months ago and it was so good I added it to my favorites list.

It's an Apron's recipe from Publix. I know, right?! I never would have guessed.

Ground Beef Chili

Ingredients

1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 lb ground chuck beef
3 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (10.75-oz) can condensed tomato soup
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes/sweet onions (undrained)
1 (10-oz) can milder diced tomatoes/green chiles (undrained)
1 (16-oz) can chili beans in mild sauce (undrained)
1 (15-oz) can black beans (drained)

Prep:
Chop onion; divide in half.

Steps:
1.Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes.
2. Place beef, chili powder, seasoned salt, pepper, and one-half of the onions in pan; cook 4–5 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until meat is brown and no pink remains.

3.Stir in remaining ingredients, including remaining one-half onions. Bring to a boil, stirring often.

4. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 10 more minutes to blend flavors. Serve.

**I use Tony Chachere's for the season salt and I used Tomato Sauce instead of tomato soup because tomato soup makes me want to gag just thinking about it. In my mind this chili is waaaay better with the sauce instead of soup. :) I used Rotel Mild (for these GA tastebuds) and then everything else was Publix brand.

***I served it as Frito Pie with lots of cheese. It's also great with a little dollop of sour cream. Oh, and just because I love hot sauce in almost everything, I added a dash or two of Tabasco Chipotle to my personal bowl. Mmmmm mmmm. If you have not tried that new flavor of Tabasco, drop what you are doing and go get you some (that link is to a coupon). And while you're at it pick up some Tony's too. You'll thank me. :)

This is a super quick meal, but it tastes like you grandma's chili that probably had to cook for 5 hours. Save yourself the time and give this recipe a try and then come back and let me know
what you think!


2 comments:

  1. Yum-O!!

    Thanks for sharing! I never thought Jan's chili would ever have a competitor but... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, yum. I wanted to stop by on Monday and get some more. Did you take that picture? It looks so professional and staged by a food stager. (Is that spelled right?)

    ReplyDelete

You know what to do!

If you ask a question in a comment I will answer with a comment so keep an eye out here. :)