.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches

My DD (grandmother) made these sandwiches for me a couple of years ago and they are now one of my family's favorite meals. I don't know about you, but lunches around here are pretty low-key - except on some Sundays. These sandwiches are great for a special lunch or for dinner (which is when we usually have them). Last night I served them with a salad and some fruit (and of course we devoured them before I remembered that I wanted to take a picture).

Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches

12 dinner rolls (I use Hostess or Hawaiian King)
sliced deli ham
sliced Swiss cheese (you can use any kind, but Swiss is our favorite)
1 stick butter
1 TBSP onion flakes
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp. poppy seeds (optional - I leave these out)

Preheat oven to 350. Place bottom half of rolls in a 9x13 glass casserole dish. Layer with ham and cheese (I usually load it down with lots of ham and at least a good slice of cheese). Add tops to the rolls. Melt butter and then mix in the remaining ingredients. Spoon/pour over rolls making sure each one gets some of the sauce. Cover with tin foil and bake for 20-30 minutes.

Enjoy!

These are so super easy and quick and they taste like something you would get at a fancy deli - not just a regular hot sandwich. The secret is in the sauce. :)

Quick, easy, and yummy meals work for me!

2 comments:

  1. My aunt made these years ago and I'd forgotten about them. They are delicious!!! Thanks for the reminder -- I'll put them in the rotation around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum. I'm bookmarking this one!
    I think it would work well as a freezer-meal, too, although I'd only freeze the 'sandwich' part and just do the 'sauce' at dinner time.

    ReplyDelete

You know what to do!

If you ask a question in a comment I will answer with a comment so keep an eye out here. :)